Dr. Steven F. Harwin
Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Steven F. Harwin, MD, FACS
Dr. Harwin specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopaedic conditions and performs several orthopaedic procedures including:
- Total Hip Replacement
- Total Knee Replacement
- Revision Total Joint Surgey
- Anterior Total Hip Replacement
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Bloodless Surgery
About Dr. Harwin
Steven F. Harwin, MD is Chief of Advanced Technology of Total Hip and Total Knee Arthroplasty at Mount Sinai West in New York City. His practice is limited to primary and revision Total Hip and Total Knee Arthroplasty.
Dr. Harwin completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and served a travelling fellowship in Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. He is Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai and an Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon at Mount Sinai West and Mount Sinai Downtown. Under his leadership, the Arthroplasty service earned The Joint Commission’s Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement, the highest recognition for quality and safety. He has published more than 200 peer-reviewed scientific articles and contributed more than 150 book chapters, surgical techniques, academic lectures and presentations, nationally and internationally. Dr. Harwin has dedicated his practice and much of his research to performing hip and knee replacements in a cementless fashion and without the need for blood transfusions.
Dr. Harwin holds several patents and is a designer of total hip and knee instruments and prostheses that have been implanted in more than three million patients worldwide, and has personally performed more than 12,000 total joint arthroplasties. He is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Surgeons, and a charter member of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons.
In addition to being a founding Editor of the Journal of Hip Surgery, Dr. Harwin is Section Editor of Orthopedics (Tips and Techniques), Associate Editor for Joint Arthroplasty for the Journal of Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Editor of Surgical Technology International. He is also a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Arthroplasty.
Dr. Harwin has been named a “Top Doctor” by US News and World Report, a “Best Doctor in America”, a “New York Super Doctor” and a “Best Doctor in the New York Metro Area”. He was honored as “One of America’s Outstanding 125 Knee Surgeons” and one of America’s “Orthopaedic Surgeons to Know”.
- Medical: State University of New York Upstate Medical University – Health Science Center, Syracuse, New York
- Internship: Beth Israel Medical Center, New York City, NY
- Orthopaedic Surgery Residency: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, New York City, NY
- Fellowship: Traveling Fellow in Hip and Knee Surgery: United States and Europe
- Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mount Sinai West
- Chief of Advanced Technology of Total Hip and Total Knee Arthroplasty, Mount Sinai West in New York City
- Professor of Orthopaedics, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York City
- Director, Mount Sinai West, New York City
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons
- Association of Professional Team Physicians
- American College of Surgeons
- American College of Sports Medicine
- National Osteonecrosis Foundation
- New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Editorial Leadership Positions
- Orthopaedics: Section Editor of "Tips and Techniques"
- The Journal of Knee Surgery: Associate Editor for Joint Arthroplasty
- Surgical Technology International: Editor for Orthopaedic Surgery
- The Journal of Arthroplasty: Editorial Board Member
- Journal of Hip Surgery: Editor in Chief
In the News
- Fox News, Video Segment on Triathlon® Bionic Knees
- CBS News
- The WB News
- Men's Journal Magazine's Top Sports Doc in America
- Live Webcast of Total Knee Replacement with Dr. Hitt
- CNN: Minimally Invasive Surgery and Bloodless Surgery
- Live Webcast on the Treatment of the Arthritic Hip and Knee
- NYCity Woman Hip Replacement 101 Article
- Becker's Healthcare: 125 Knee Surgeons and Specialists to Know